Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Home again, home again, jiggity jig

So I just flew in from the Netherlands and boy are my arms...yeah. Boy am I tired. It was a long week but a pretty good time. Five days of meetings interfered with the fun, but otherwise I would not have been there. Highlights of the trip.

-Arriving at the airport and finding out my rental car is a manual transmission. yeah, I never learned how to drive stick, and learning in Europe was not on my list of things to do.

-Getting to my hotel at 9:30am and not having a room ready until 2:30 am. It gave me time to wander around the beach and see the town a little bit. Besides the bitingly cold wind, it was a good thing, because I couldn't go to sleep.

-The Wednesday social dinner where we realized after we had paid for the meal, that half the wine that was included in the bill had not been drunk...and we just couldn't let it go to waste.

Thursday morning was not a highlight.

-Lightning tour of The Hague on Friday afternoon culminating in eating this lovely Dutch treat.
What you are looking at is haring; it consists of raw herring
and raw onions. mmm...mmm...good.

I can't say I was all that impressed with there food overall. It was okay, but it is not a country I would tell you to go to for the good eats. I will say that there fries are really good. The use of mayonnaise although off putting for me, was actually pretty tasty.

-Discovering Gulden Draak.
Now I just need to find a place in the States that sells it. Spec's don't let me down.

Hopefully, if I get to travel like this again I will be able to get a bit more organized before the trip so I can actually go and see more places. This time being the first trip, there was a bunch of different things to get used to. Particularly expecting to have a car, but then not having that work out. I wasn't ready to travel using public transport. This limited where I could go and when since I was relying more on other people. It was a fun trip, met a lot of good people over there. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can do something like this again.


No comments: