Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Routines, Good or Bad?

I tend to be a person of routine. I like to go to sleep and get up around the same time. When I go to a restaurant its probably one I've been to before, and I probably know exactly what I am going to get before I ever sit down. I like to sleep on the same side of the bed every night, and sit on the same part of the couch. In fact our couch now has what we affectionately call "the hole" from where my butt has worn a groove into the cushions that you can almost fall into.

Is there anything wrong with having routines? It makes me comfortable and gives a steadiness to life that reduces stress. I don't have to worry about new things. It can be a blessing; but it can also be a curse. It can allow you to stagnate, and make life boring. As much as I love routine, I realize it is important to get out and do something differently every now and again.

As I tend to be a creature of habit I try to use occasions where I am forced out of my routines to really try and do things differently. For example, when I was overseas recently I try and eat the local food as much as possible. I had venison steaks, a trio of quail including poached quail egg, I had rabbit stew, haring (see previous post), and I drank new kinds of beer (which can be very rewarding). Its not a big thing, but those are definitely I do not eat routinely. It is fun to try new things. At the very best you can find something new that you really like, and on the other end at least you can say you tried it. It can make a good story. I drank snakes blood and bile once. Was it good? No. Does it make an interesting story? I think so anyway.

It's easy to break routine when forced to and it can have a lot of rewards. It's important to remind yourself this when stuck in a loop at home. Maybe go out and try that other restaurant, or play a board game instead of a videogame. Read instead of watching that television show. Even better, get outside instead of staying in doors all evening (of course living in Texas typically can make the outdoors a miserable experience).

Maybe sit on the other end of the couch and not in the hole, gain a new perspective on things.

No comments: