Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Avatar Debate

I watched Avatar in IMAX 3D last night. I went into it expecting spectacular special effects, and a lame retold story. On the effects front I was not disappointed. On the story side I was pleasantly surprised. I was impressed at how convincing the plot turned out to be considering a) it was about a bunch of 10 ft tall blue aliens and b) was similar in nature to: Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai, Fern Gully, Pocahontas.
At first the aliens came off as a bit much, but the more you watched the movie and became ingrained in the world that was being created, the more the believable the whole thing became. By the end of the movie I found the whole thing very convincing. Extremely well done. The 3D definately was an extremely cool part of the movie. I am interested to see how it will translate to bluray/DVD. The movie was designed to be seen in an IMAX 3D enviroment, and to seperate that part out of the viewing experience probably will hurt the work somewhat. But I think in the end the imagination and depth of the world created will stand on its own. I fully expect to see sequals of this movie if just for the fact that the world created was done so in such exquisite detail that it would be a shame not to revisit it.

Yes, this movie was hyped quite a bit, and there are a lot of people out there who are saying they don't want to see it based on this fact, and the fact that they heard its an old story redone. While the story is not something new, there were a lot of intricacies that were added to the story that kept my interest throughout. To not see it because it is supposed to be big, is stupid. If something is supposed to be awesome and turns out to be awesome that is a good thing, why not take advantage of that?

I would highly recommend seeing it particularly if you can see it as it is meant to be seen.

No comments: