Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

Zombie movies, what gory fun

So I went through a "scary movie" period of my Netflix queue a while back.  Some of my favorites involved zombie movies.  They can provide such great fun.  Below is a list of the ones I have seen and a few thoughts on each.

Night of the Living Dead - Really the one that started it all.  I mean its not the greatest in the way of action or special affects, but you have to remember when it was made and how it was a breakthrough.
Dawn of the Dead - Probably my favorite in this series so far, though Romero is still making them.
Day of the Dead - It's interesting to see the Zombie "evolution" in Romero's movies.
Land of the Dead - This was alright, mindless fun.  I guess that is what zombie movies are.  So good on you.
Night of the Living Dead 3D remake - I didn't see it in 3D, but you could tell where the crappy 3D effects were supposed to be.  This was just an awful movie and a real downer on the original.  The best part of the movie was when they showed the original on television at the beginning of this one.
Dead Alive - One of Peter Jackson's first flicks.  How he arrived on the set of Lord of the Rings from this start is astounding.  Probably one of the goriest movies I have ever seen.  Using a push lawn mower as a weapon... I think so.
Quarantine - This was a good one.  Slow start, and shot will handheld cameras, but extremely well done.
Zombieland - A great zombie movie with excellent comedic value, excellent rules to live by in the event of the zombie apocalypse.
Resident Evil Trilogy - I almost forgot this was a zombie series.  Again falls into the mindless fun category.  I watched them all back to back.  The first two were okay.  The third was getting weird.  I guess Milla Jovovich is an added benefit to this series.
Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 - Evil Dead surprised me by how whiny Ash was.  Army of Darkness was the first movie I saw in this trilogy and he was a bad ass.  Not the case in Evil Dead.  Evil Dead 2 was basically a reinvention of the first movie and a reinvention of Ash's character.  Both great movies for how they were made.  I would say Evil Dead 2 was the funner movie.  I wouldn't call Army of Darkness a Zombie movie, but also great fun.
Fido - I really liked this movie.  A boy and his pet zombie.  Enjoyed the 1950's vibe of the movie, particularly after spent a great deal of time playing Fallout 3.
Shaun of the Dead - I need to go back and watch this movie again.  I went into it expecting a straight comedy along the lines of Zombieland, what I got was a very dark comedy.  Expectations are everything, and this hurt my opinion of the movie.  Having then watched Hot Fuzz with the right mindset I found that movie highly enjoyable.  So Shaun of the Dead is a definite revisit.
Stripper Zombies - So I am not sure should admit to having actually seen this movie.  Gratuitous in the extreme, as I guess should be expected.  I was expecting it to be campy funny.  Instead it took itself way to seriously.  Oh well.
I am Legend - A remake of a remake of a movie of a book.  This movie wasn't that great.  The computer animation was too much.  It was a decent for zombie plan ideas though.
The Omega Man - The original remake of The last man alive.  I honestly don't remember this too well except that I saw it after I am Legend and that it has identical product placement of red Ford Mustangs.  
28 Days Later - OK so I could have done without the opening scene.  But aside from that good movie.  Really pioneered the sprinting zombie mythos.
28 Weeks Later - Much more of an action oriented then the previous.  Fun in that regard.
Planet Terror - Over the top ridiculous.  Made in the fine tradition of the seediest grind-house films.  This movie was a lot better than I had originally thought it would be.  I guess stupid movies have really grown on me.

I do have several more out there that I have been meaning to see.  Some of the new Romero films, and a couple of the remakes of his movies, which I heard were better than the other remake that I did watch.  Also the Crazies.

So if you aren't too squeamish go and watch some of these flicks.  They should give you some good ideas in helping to develop your zombie plan, while providing hours of flesh eating, corpse ridden fun.

No comments: