Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

What's in a name?

OK, so random thought of the day.  Does your name have an effect on your personality?  If you grew up with a different name would you still be the same person that you are now.  I know it might seem trivial but that whole butterfly affect thing.   Plus it might really be so trivial.  That whole "Boy named Sue" concept.  The way people treat you can have a large impact on you.  So if you had a different name growing up would people have treated you the same or different.  Do you people treat Patrick's and Eugene's the same.  How would it have affected your life?

I have heard a lot people in my life, mainly girls, say "Oh you don't look like a... fill in name".  So obviously in some ways people attach certain characteristics with certain names.  Do they treat people according to those characteristics.    I mean some people can get made fun of because of there name.  Richard Brains, my dad knew someone by this name.  I can imagine he was teased throughout his childhood.  If his name was Steve, would it have been the same?  

I would imagine it would depend on other factors as well.  If you have a easy to make fun of name, but stand a foot taller and 20 lbs heavier then anyone else maybe it doesn't matter.

If your name is Snake, do you try to be more a badass in life?  Yes, I just watched Escape from New York.

Not really sure where I'm going with this.  I just thought it was one of those interesting questions that have no answer.  Where would I be if my name had been Bob?

No comments: