Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Learning lessons from Movies

So I've been stuck in a Post apocalyptic kick for a couple of years now.  If you couldn't tell from my giant list of Zombie movies that I have watched in the last couple of years.  In addition to Zombie movies that I have watched recently, I have also watched The Road, The Book of Eli, Carriers, The Signal, Vanguard (this is a terrible movie, don't watch it), Escape from New York, Escape from LA, Death Race 2000 (a classic B movie), and currently I am watching the remake Death Race.  There are probably some others in there.  I am a big fan of Battlestar Galactica (the remake, definitely post apocalyptic although pure sci-fi as well), and an even bigger fan of Fallout 3.  I can't wait for Fallout: New Vegas to release this month.

So what does this have to do with anything?  Watching a lot of movies about life after the end of the world as we know it; whether it come about by nuclear, chemical, biological, or the undead, made me wonder how would I fare?  Am I even in a position to survive whatever the cataclysmic event is?  I addressed some of this in my Zombie plan entry a few months back.  What made me think of it again was watching a movie recently called Right At Your Door.  Along with The Road I think it was one of the more scary depictions of a cataclysmic event and the effects.  While The Road almost purely focuses on survival after the fact, Right At Your Door looks at the event itself and survival in the near term.
Right at Your Door Poster
Poster from IMDB - Right at your Door (2006)
***Below is going to contain Spoilers for anyone who might have interest in watching the movie including the ending***

So the movie is basically about a major terrorist attack in downtown LA.  The attach is a series of bio-bombs that when the burn release contaminated ash that coats the surrounding area.  The main character in the movie is a out of work musician (aren't they all in LA).  Anyway, his wife goes to work downtown, and he is at home as a series of explosions rips through the city casting a pall of contaminated smoke and ash all through the area.  The man of course makes attempts to get to his wife but finds the police blocking all entrances into the city.  He eventually is forced to return home and seal up his house.  He kind of loots a hardware store on they way home to grab plastic and tape to seal all the windows and doors in his house from the outside world as the ash starts to rain down in his neighborhood.

This is where I learned my lesson.  I figure living in Houston area, we are in an area surrounded by refineries that are processing some pretty heinous stuff sometimes.  In the few years I have been down here there have been several explosions are various sites.  One even resulted in a shelter in place in my area due to, you guessed it, a large cloud of potentially poisonous smoke.  So it doesn't even have to be some crazy attack, sometimes it would be good to have the supplies to seal up your place from the outside world.  Or just having something to cover a broken window while waiting to to get it fixed.  So a couple days later I went out and acquired some more stuff to add to my hurricane (read zombie) kit.

So anyway, as the movie goes on you find that the man's wife has survived the explosions and makes it back to their home, only to find that she has been locked outside but her husband.  So the problem with this movie that made me go out and buy a few more emergency supplies is that, at one point the wife busts a window into the house to try and get in and a small amount of the "viral ash" gets in.  Since his house was sealed up it basically incubates the virus turning the place into a death trap.

So this movie taught me, sealing up your house can lead to your death, and I ran out and got supplies to do so?  Thinking about it later made me wonder how that logic wormed its way through my brain.

What movie lessons have your learned?

No comments: