Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Claymore...Enjoyable but unfinished

So I enjoy anime.  I can't really explain why.  It geneally starts off as wholly understandable, and ends wholly uncompromisable.  But the animation style, the initial stories themselves are usually quiet enjoyalble.  The most simple of those I have watched is Dragonball Z...which honestly is really simple and never reaches the incomprehensible point that I have run into with other shows.  Gundam Wing has a little of both.  Akira was just bizarre but interesting as was Ghost in a Shell.  I keep watching various shows and movies and the most recent of which was Claymore.

This show I thought was really enjoyable.  It is based on a Manga series with some changes in the story line as the series goes forward.  The show was 26 episodes long so not a huge commitment, but part of the reason behind that is because the Manga is ongoing and the
anime series apparently is not.  So the story as far as the show goes is incomplete.

The show is a dark story that set in a world shared between two group of sentient beings, Humans and Yomma. Humans of course are like you and me, Yomma are sentient monsters that feed on Humans entrails.  Not what you would call a good living relationship.  In order to defend humans a secret organization crossed the two species to create create a mixed breed resembling more Human than Yomma creating what the Humans call the Claymores. The Claymores fight for humanity for a huge fee paid to "The organization".

The show follows the Story of Claire one a very independent Claymore seeking revenge from her past.  It is a very action oriented show which to me resembles a much darker Dragonball Z.  I tend to enjoy darker stories which is why this interested me as the story went on.  I also thought it had a very fun soundtrack for an anime story.

I always hate to go into too much detail for fear of ruining something for someone who would actually want to watch the show. But suffice is to say it is a dark, action oriented show focused on sword play and monsters.  As the show went on it got a little stranger, but I wouldn't say it ever verged off the path of comprehensibility. I won't lie, I rated it 5 stars on Netflix... It's fun.  I hope they continue the series once some more of manga is finished.

No comments: