Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Marathon Sidebar: They Stole My Shoes!

A quick story about the shoes I started my training in. In January of 2010, I signed up for a gym membership. For about two months I worked out quite regularly. Then we decided to buy a house. Which did two things. First house hunting took up a lot of time, and secondly when we did find a house it was far away from the gym I was a member at. What does this have to do with shoes you ask? 


Well the day we started looking for houses I had originally intended on going to the gym that evening. I would never go to that gym again, but all of my workout gear that I brought in the car with me remained in the back seat for the next several months. Included in these items were my running shoes. Now a few months after we had moved into our new place my car was broken into. I use the term loosely because in all actuality I forgot to lock my doors and they just opened them and ransacked my car. Upon discovering this event I tried to categorize everything I had lost. Initially, I thought it was just my iPod dock and some loose change. 

Again several months later we decided to start doing those outdoor walks I mentioned a few posts ago. This is the first time I was going to exercise since abandoning the old gym membership. The first time I needed running shoes since then, and the point at which I realized those bastards stole my shoes. I ended up going on that walk in a pair of sandals, which was kind of awkward. Shortly thereafter I acquired new shoes, very similar to those that were stolen. They can be seen above. They had a brief use during that period of walking before being abandoned (in my closet this time, not the car). 

A few notes about them. They are a pair of Asics Gel-Cumulus 12's. They are a size 9 1/2. My shoe size is 9 1/2, which comes into the story later. They are a fairly neutral shoe and basically the same type of shoe I have been running in since my senior year of high school. I had about four pairs of the various generations of thid shoe. So it is a shoe I like, from a brand I like. They served me well for a while. 

No comments: